Thursday, December 3

22 Movies Every Film Geek Must Have Seen, Part 5

FULL METAL JACKET
The War film to end all War films. This is probably Kubrick's most approachable film, and arguably his best. My war film of choice, simply because it made me feel worse then any other I have ever seen.
If you liked this, may I suggest: Saving Private Ryan and Apocalypse Now are the obvious choices, but if you want something unique I suggest you check out Jarhead or Waltz With Bashir.

THE GOLD RUSH
Oh yes, I know Modern Times and City Lights are "grander" films, they deliver cultural critique, historical gems, blah blah blah. You know what? I don't care. This film the most entertaining and watchable one I have seen of Chaplin. If you liked this one, you can check out the rest.
If you liked this, may I suggest: Besides those mentioned above, The Kid is also really fun. For something a little less Chaplin: Buster Keaton's The General.

LOLA RENNT
This low-budget German flick combines two traits that have not been matched enough by far: experimenting with the medium film, and delivering an awesome film. Especially this last one seems to be "beneath" a lot of filmmakers. This one to me was a healthy reminder of why I liked film so much in the first place.
If you liked this, may I suggest: I must have mentioned I'm Not There, because it's my favorite film. For the experimental while fun edge... Juno, perhaps? Not that experimental, but don't let that stand in the way of watching and loving the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment