Thursday, December 17

Oh, 2000's. How we won't miss you.

Once every decade, people can make bigger lists then normal. The "1.000.000 best songs of 2004" gets tiresome after a while, but a list with best songs of the decade will be a hit.

I don't, however, have been too deep in anything to really proclaim a list. The ten best films? I have missed all the indie stuff. The best music? I don't like "black" music at all, so I will be missing out.

With this in mind, I decided to make a list of the ten best thing of the decade. Just ten awesome things that happened, and not in any particular order. The ten worst things will follow.

THE RISE, BLOSSOMING AND MAINSTREAM ACCEPTANCE OF GAMING
You know, it wasn't all too long ago that gaming was something solely done by nerds. And I don't mean "kinda-geeky" people. No, full-fledged N3RDS who would live in their parents basements and tinker with their computers in their underwear all day long. Now, over 90% of teenage males game.

Well, that was quick.


And it has brought a whole buttload of FANTASTIC GAMES with it. Psychonauts, Half-life 2 (my favorites), but pretty much everyone's favorite games were born during this decade.

Yes they were. Look it up: yours was made after 2000. And if it isn't: stop reading my blog, dad.

BARACK OBAMA
What's there not to love about the man? He is black (which is awesome), his hobbies are (I quote): cooking, poker, basketball, spending time with his family, dancing, and talking on the phone with his wife, Michelle Obama (which is AWESOME) and above all, he has proven to posses an actual, functioning brain (unlike his predecessor), and a damn good one at that. Way to go, dude. Way to go. Now just about that Micheal Bay thingie...

A BUNCH OF GREAT, GREAT FILMS
Nolan's Batman films. The Lord Of The Rings. Almost everything by Pixar. The Matrix. Tarantino and Rodriguez kicking monumental amounts of ass. Eastwood delivering some of the finest movies ever made. Woody Allen making a film that is actually funny for the first time in 25 years.

If you will excuse me, I am going to have a nerdgasm over there.

GAY MARRIAGE MADE LEGAL IN 7 COUNTRIES FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MODERN HISTORY
You know what? Gay people are awesome. Despite all the discrimination and beatings, they just stand for what they are and are proud of it. And finally, some politicians recognized this. Way to go, fellas.

WIKIPEDIA
Yes yes, it's not always completely reliable. Sure, it's subject to vandalism now and then. Still, when I first heard about this (geography class in the third grade) I could never have guessed it would become this amazing. I check the site pretty much every day now, and there are so many wonderful things to discover. From everything about the second world war to the color of Batman's underwear, you can find it there. I completely love it.

GLOBAL ATTENTION TO GLOBAL WARMING
I tend to consider myself a hippie. So you can imagine how glad I am to see that people all over the globe are working together against a common threat: themselves. The whole of mankind has become aware of their garbage in no time at all, which I consider to be a giant leap forward for the human race.

THE INTERNET
This one... not so much. Still, it would be kind of strange to not consider this something wicked bitching. Since you found this site, I don't think it will be necessary to explain. Case in point, however: xkcd. And yes, I know it existed before. But it wasn't until the 2000s that it became the mainstream medium it is today.

CHRIS ANDERSON BECOMING THE CURATOR OF TED
As I have previously made clear: TED is one of my favorite things in the world. But before 2001, almost no-one had ever heard of it. Until mr Anderson came in charge. Remember the Matrix? Neo? "Mister Anderson!" A hacker? Who turned out to have to save the world? Coincidence? I think not.

MOBILE PHONES AND DIGITAL CAMERAS BECOMING CHEAP AND WIDESPREAD
I can barely imagine what it is like to be able to call someone on every moment of the day. Or taking a picture and being stuck with it forever. But I do know I like it. Especially the picture part: I tend to take quite a lot of them, and I don't have to spend all my money on developing them now.

EUROPE IS UNITING AND GROWING
I might take a controversial stand here, but I am completely pro-Europe. We should work together, especially now. The problems of this millennium require a different approach then before. And although the road may be bumpy, Europe has never in history been this united, be it in the dropping of borders, be it a common currency (which is awesome as well).


WORLDWIDE SECULARISATION
AKA: more Atheists worldwide. The acceptance of them has been a advocated in traditionally religious countries like the US as well. Ka-ching!


So, those are some of the things that really kicked ass these last ten years. Tune in in a couple of days for the worst things.


By the way. I already said I wouldn't create a list of best music, but if I would make a list of best songs of the decade, this one would definitely be on it. The intro is weird, but keep listening.


Alias

No comments:

Post a Comment